23 agosto 2009

Thing 12

I added a couple of widgets through Blogger when I first I began this blog. While working on this Thing I also added a couple more widgets to my blog utilizing the Blogger icon provided at the Google Gadgets. I didn't have a lot of success navegating Polldaddy. I tried making characters on Voki, but I had some difficulty saving a character. I decided to embed this gadget from Googel Gadgets to my blog. It provides information about Spanish fútbol (individual players and match reviews). I feel comfortable embedding items to my blog. I also feel comfortable utilizing icons.




I belong to Facebook and this summer I really began to use Facebook. I joined Facebook almost three years ago and it took me a long time to start using it. I do think that Facebook, MySpace, and other social networking sites can be the biggest time suckers out there. I generally only visit my Facebook site once a day because I find myself doing a lot of unnecessary activities. Sometimes I'm tempted to take a quiz, post pics or videos (now), update my GoodReads and Cities I've Traveled to, etc. I do find it relaxing to take about 30 minutes and 'play' on my page, see what's new, and comment or send messages. I do like the aspect of being able to keep up with large numbers of people.

I believe that relationships formed face-to-face are more meaningful than those formed on social networking sites. Although there are many ways to express yourself to others and you are getting feedback from them I think there is something more human in the natural volley of face to face conversation. I think facial expressions are better than emocons. (I'm not sure if that is the right word, but, you know those smiley face things.) However, I know that I'm better able to maintain the relationships that I formed before Facebook on Facebook.

I think social networking sites are very popular with students today because it is essentially like talking on the phone and teenagers like to talk on the phone. Of course all the 'apps' out there lead them to 'playing' on these sites (just like me). I do become disturbed when I see students sitting in a classroom after school just texting and not interacting with those present at all. That really strikes me as odd and disappointing because I do think there are many missed opportunities for face to face dialogue that our students are missing because they spend so much time social networking.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario