28 agosto 2009

Thing 17

I tried going to WordLearner, but the link kept coming up as broken. It seemed like several people liked this site so I will be trying to work with it. I looked at Knowtes instead, but when I tried signing up I was getting a page that said there was a problem with the website security certificate. I'm not sure what this means, but since I'm not on my computer today, I did not proceed. However, I did browse and noticed Maestrajen had signed up for it (I have been following her blog a little bit). Knowtes and the other sites I looked at had the use of Tags and this helped confirm for me how important it is to continue working with tags.

I spent time exploring 30 Boxes and Remember the Milk. Both are planning tools. I liked 30 Boxes because it offers you a calendar to work with. I set up the remaining days of August and the events I have for September. I liked the layout of 30 Boxes and I think I will continue to use it. It offers reminders that can be emailed to you and reminders that can be texted to you. 30 Boxes allows you retrieve information from places like Facebook and Myspace if you have events on calendars there. It also allows you to create a Buddies list that will allow them access to your events. This seems like it would be helpful in personal life if you needed to keep a family up to date on events. It also seems like a good place for students to check in on for due dates related to your classroom. And, the students could all have their birthdays displayed. I didn't see a language option on 30 Boxes so I probably won't use it in my classroom.

I also spent time exploring Remember the Milk. This site allows you to set up task lists and functions something like a calendar. It also allows you to receive emailed reminders and phone reminders, but I think you need an iphone for that. With each task you can add locations (which you can keep for future use), time estimations for the task, URLs associated with the task, and you can set up tags for grouping tasks. There are also options for sharing this information with online communities.

I like the idea of being able to look up my schedule from any computer instead of carrying around my To Do list on scrapes of paper or referring to my ever missing calendar at home. I plan to continue using 30 Boxes for personal use.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario