28 agosto 2009

Thing 21

I found a wiki called Mohawkspanish at wikispaces. This is a wiki for a Spanish language high school class. There was a listing of the classes and instructions for registering at the site. It appeared that the teacher must send the students an invitation to join this site. I saw documents on a project they must have been doing on Costa Rica. I'm not sure if the teacher posted these or if there was some kind of collaboration with the students when making them or if the students developed them. I have to admit, after watching the video and reading the article I feel like I understand the wiki, but when looking at the wikis that are out there, I'm not sure how they become what they are exactly.

I would like to use a wiki in my classes for things like lesson summaries, study guides or vocabulary study. I think it would be great if the students had to prepare and edit this content for themselves to use.

The first hurdle I think of considering setting up a wiki for my classes is I need to know more about what I'm doing and I need to define my role on the wiki. Then I need to better understand how the students could benefit from this what they can actually do on it. Also, I would really need to think about what their role is too. I also think that how the wiki should be structured is an important piece because if you create something that isn't easy to navegate, then it would be pretty useless. I don't know at this point if you could change the structure as you go or if it needs to be in place initially. Obviously, I would also be concerned about the editing that could happen on a wiki.

The main hurdles here seem to be my lack of knowledge. I don't how much this would really help my students or what our real use could be for a wiki. Therefore I don't know if it is really worth it for me to take the time to put this into action for my students. Also, I don't have a real idea of how much time would be spent monitoring the wiki for the open editing it allows. For now, I will try to make a wiki and sleep on it.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario